Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Today's Goals

So far so good on my goals for work:
  • Drank 2 full water bottles (well, okay, I've still got about a third of the 2nd one to go, but I'll have finished it by the time I leave work). That's 8 glasses (8 oz each) of water already on the day - I like getting that done *early* so I'm less likely to get up every 30 minutes when I'm trying to sleep. :) And that way any extra water I drink at home is "gravy".
  • Avoided the vending machines! GO ME! (Understand, upt to now I've generally had at least a cherry coke and bag of chips every day - this saves me calories, junk in my system, and money too!)
  • Got this blog started
  • Filled out my fitday for what I've eaten so far
  • Printed out my exercise plan (with an extra copy for Kitminx and another to keep in my drawer here). It's an 8 week Conditioning Program put together by Jeff Galloway (a well known marathon trainer) for people who want to do a marathon but haven't been active. I figure it's as good a place to start as any.

Goals for the rest of the day:

  • Healthy meal at home ('Yote's already requested chicken, and we've got enough salad at least for today, though I should probably make more - I like to keep a container of salad in the fridge so it's easy to grab when I want one and to take to work - and I'll probably make a vegetable for me along with whatever side I make for 'Yote and Kitminx)
  • Take my vitamins (not a problem - we've been consistently taking vitamins since 'Yote moved down, and you know what? We've only gotten sick once a piece for the whole year.)
  • Walk! I expect I'll get up early and do it before we go to work. One of the things I learned a while ago is that starting out the day with exercise boosts your metabolism for the whole day. And, since 'Yote will still be sleeping, I won't feel like I'm missing out on time with him (though making myself get up and get moving from being all curled up together won't be easy, believe me).

Here's the walking goals for this week. Already blew Monday, but I'll get it made up somewhere - not worrying about it. :) Any movement is a good thing, so if I miss a day, I'm not going to beat myself up about it. I'm going to stick to walking for now. I got to the point when I was training for the marathon 5 years ago that I was more run/walking...and I want to get there eventually. But I'm not going to get serious about running until I get the right sport bra (trust me, it's worth it). Which I have to work into the budget first, so it will be a little bit yet.

Week 1 (walkers will walk only, runners will run for 5 seconds/walk for 55 seconds on the run/walk days)

Mon: 10 min run/walk

Tues: 15 min walk

Wed: 13 min run/walk

Thurs: 18 min walk

Fri: off

Sat: 1 mile run/walk

Sun: off/walk

4 comments:

Laura said...

thanks for the heads-up on that conditioning program. that's one i hadn't seen before.

going to give it a try. :)

Euphrates said...

You can find more on Jeff's website: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

melissa said...

GO YOU!!
great job, esp. with the vending machines and water. sometimes just altering our input can have an amazing impact. now, increasing the output won't hurt either. ;)

it's interesting that the artist's way contract specifies taking better care of our bodies - much, much connection there, and i know i have been neglecting mine the last couple of months.

::hugs::

Kasumi said...

Good job! We've got one of Jeff Galloway's books and I've used his plan off-and-on even without trying to work up to a marathon, just because it seems sane and all.

Anyway, go you!