Monday, September 22, 2008

First Setback

Note I didn't say "first major setback" or "first serious setback". That would be because I'm not all that horribly concerned by the numbers.

I did my "weigh in" tonight after I got up, and the scale said 240.5. Which is a 1lb increase from last week. Wrong direction (up, not down), but only by one pound - this is not a crisis. Particularly since I know pretty much what caused it:
  • No exercise at all this week (well, 'Yote told me I did more than my share of exercise walking around the entire apartment complex twice looking for and then putting up flyers in hopes of recovering our cat Hagbard Celine...and then doing the same to the end and back of the street next to our apartment complex on Monday morning...but that's *all* I did all week).
  • Not entering my food over the weekend in Fitday, which was primarily due to
  • A weird weekend of odd food, after a weird week of dealing with a power outtage and spoiling food. Things like going to Dewey's Pizza with my son for his 22nd birthday, and going out to Frisch's yesterday. I ate low-carb: got a salad and ate the top off the pizza but not the crust at Dewey's, took my Big Boy sandwich off the bun at Frisch's...but I still felt like I'd over eaten and I didn't know how to record it all...so I just didn't. If I HAD, I probably would had a better idea of when to stop. Which is honestly the purpose of fitday for me - it gives me an idea of where I am during the day, and when I need to watch things.
  • low-carb "treats" that aren't...well, okay they *are*, but because I think of them as "safe" I overeat them. Like porkrinds and onion dip - I don't care how low carb they are, eating the better part of an entire bag and a whole container of dip is *not* conducive to weight loss. Period. And when I have those kinds of treats around...I have no control. I binge. SO, we're going to make sure that's an extremely *rare* occasion. Also, I currently have some of the low-carb ice-cream treats (those klondike low carb bars with almonds) in my freezer. So far I've been good - I've limited myself to one per day. However, I *know* those things are a temptation to me - I've eaten a whole box at a sitting before (yes, they are THAT good). So, I need to keep an eye on that.

So, knowing what I know, I'm not beating myself up over a measely pound - first, it could have been a lot worse (it *felt* a lot worse, I knew there wasn't going to be a loss before I ever stepped on the scale), and second - it's not like I totally fell of the wagon and binged on bad stuff, and have to start all over. I just need to play closer attention to what I'm doing, have a plan when we go out, remember to record *everything*, and keep up what I've been doing that works.

Since this week was payday, I got my exercise ball (still need to inflate it and get started using it - probably today), and I also picked up a new low carb cookbook (yeah like I needed another one). *chuckle* THIS one is one of those 6 ingredient books, though - I made slow cooker swiss steak yesterday that was *really really* good (both my loves said so, and really filling, too), and SUPER easy. I think I'm going to make the "brunch enchiladas" today, which are made with chicken. I'm trying to add in a bit more red meat to the food plan - 'Yote wasn't feeling real well this weekend, and we narrowed part of the problem down to the fact that we'd had nothing but fish and chicken the last few weeks (also we'd run out of carbinated soda, which he drinks occasionally during the week to keep his stomach settled, and we'd had to throw out his yogurt and hadn't replaced it after the power outage, something else he eats on a regular basis to keep the stomach settled). Dude's a total carnivore and needs his dead cow (and it's not like it's not low-carb). Not that I didn't buy a big bag of chicken and two bags of tilapia...but I went through the cookbook and have several meat meals planned including a roast and a hamburger/spinach bake thingie that looks really yummy. He was feeling better tonight when he got up, so I think we're on the right track (that was part of the "why" of the Frisch's run on Saturday evening).

So, I'm still on track and as far as I'm concerned I'm still doing fine. Just a little fine tuning here and there, and recognizing patterns I need to keep an eye out for. All part of the process. :)

2 comments:

Laura said...

since the body generally varies up to 5 lbs daily, 1 lb really is nothing to worry about. :) when i was skinnyskinny (115 lbs soaking wet) i could go up as much as 8 lbs in one day, and i'd lose it in...er...one "sitting," if you will.

jimpurdy1943@yahoo.com said...

You said:
"I currently have some of the low-carb ice-cream treats (those klondike low carb bars with almonds) in my freezer. So far I've been good - I've limited myself to one per day. However, I *know* those things are a temptation to me - I've eaten a whole box at a sitting before (yes, they are THAT good). So, I need to keep an eye on that."

Oh, yes, what I'll call the RFWQ ("Right Food, Wrong Quantity") Syndrome. I'm an RFWQ sufferer myself. I've learned that there are some foods that I just can't have in my home, regardless of how good they are supposed to be. Best wishes to you.