Sunday, September 14, 2008

Another W00H00!

It's been another wonky weekend schedule-wise (and it's far from over, as I work tonight and have to be in Dayton by 6pm...and I just got up). So I went ahead and weighed myself (which I generally do once a week, preferably around the same time) since I'd had a full sleep - down to 239.5 lbs! That's 9 lbs gone so far- yay!

In other news, I made zucchini lasagna Friday that we're still eating on (it was HUGE - nearly overflowed the pan when it was cooking)...it's really really good, and totally low-carb friendly. Here's the recipe as it was given to me:

Miss Gigl’s Zucchini Lasagna
3 small zucchinis washed and sliced into long thin strips then blanched and patted dry with paper towels

1 can of sugar free tomato sauce (not jarred carby spaghetti sauce)
1 pound of jimmy dean sage sausage (those tube things) -cooked & drained
1 pound of jimmy dean spicy sausage (those tube things) - cooked & drained
4 cups (?) or ricotta cheese
big package of shredded mozzarella
parmesan cheese
oregano
garlic powder
basil
salt & pepper
mushrooms (optional)
Pre-heat over to 350. Mix up the ricotta with the spices in a bowl. Create the lasagna in layers in a large baking dish: zucchini, sausage, cheese, tomato sauce, etc. then top off with mozzarella cheese and good sprinkling of parmesan. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.


Changes I made:
I used 2 packages of mild sausage, because none of us is into spicy all that much ('Yote can add hot sauce if he's jonesin', but spicy hurts my mouth)
Didn't use mushrooms (as 'Yote's not into them), but I added onions
Couldn't find sugar-free tomato sauce, but the regular tomato sauce wasn't all that carby, so I went with that.
Used garlic powder and "italian seasonings" (and a little oregano)

I totally mangled one poor zucchini trying to make long thin strips - need to work on technique there (gave up and just made thin diagonal slices to make them at least a *little* longer). And it all held together pretty well, all things considered (I had a feeling the pieces would utterly fall apart when served, but it actually stayed looking like lasagna). I have some ideas on other alterations...we'll see how the next batch goes. It was YUMMY, though. Really - like 'Yote and Kitminx both went back for seconds yummy. *does happy dance that they liked it*

Now to just figure out how to enter it into fitday. *shakes head* Not sure that's happening, unless I can find some kind of "recipe converter" out there on the intrawebz where I can enter ingredients and # of servings and have it spit out a nutritional value chart - 'cause entering it ingredient by ingredient and trying to estimate how much of each actually went into my mouth sounds like WAY too much work. :)

No comments: